3 Easy Tips to Help You Find the Best Health Insurance for Your Small Business – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has made it easier than ever for small businesses to ﬁnd affordable health insurance plans for their employees. The law also offers incentives for small businesses to provide health insurance for their workers. In conjunction with these changes, the U.S. Small Business Administration has released new guidelines on how
small businesses can ﬁnd the best health insurance plans for their speciﬁc situations and needs as an employer.
Whether you have a few employees or many, there are several things you need to know when choosing the right health insurance plan for your business. These Best Health Insurance for Your Small Business tips will help you navigate ﬁnding and purchasing the right health insurance plan at an affordable price that meets your company’s needs and qualiﬁes for any available tax breaks and incentives.
Image Source: FreeImages
Understand Your Health Insurance Options
- When it comes to health insurance, there are several different types of plans available. Knowing which ones are best for your business is the ﬁrst step to ﬁnding the right health insurance plan.
- Depending on the size of your business, there are three types of health insurance plans available in the law: Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP), Individual Health Insurance, and Group Health Insurance.
- Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) – SHOP is an online marketplace for small businesses to ﬁnd and purchase health insurance for their employees. With SHOP, small businesses can purchase health insurance by state at a competitive price and select a plan best suited for their company’s needs. You can purchase health insurance as an individual or as a group.
- Individual Health Insurance – This is health insurance coverage provided by an insurance company on an individual basis. When looking for individual health insurance, it’s important to understand that you may have a pre-existing condition that could make it more diﬃcult to ﬁnd affordable coverage. This is especially true if you have a chronic condition like diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Group Health Insurance – Group health insurance is coverage provided by an insurance company for an employer and employees through an
- employer-sponsored health plan. Group health insurance plans are typically less expensive than health insurance plans purchased as individuals because they can be subsidized by tax breaks.
Use an Independent Broker: Health Insurance for Your Small Business
When it comes to ﬁnding an insurance broker, there are many advantages to using an independent broker rather than an in-house broker at your small business, or an insurance agent at a small insurance company.
- No commissions – Not being forced to take the ﬁrst health insurance plan offered by your small business’s broker or insurance company can help you ﬁnd the best plan at the best price.
- Variety – An independent broker can help you explore all of your options, including SHOP, individual health insurance plans, and group health insurance plans.
- Specialty – Depending on your needs, an independent health insurance broker can be an expert in helping you ﬁnd the best coverage for your employees and company.
- Expertise – An independent health insurance broker can be an expert in helping you navigate the ACA and ﬁnd the best plan for your speciﬁc needs.
- Flexibility – Depending on your particular circumstances, an independent broker can help you ﬁnd the best plan for your company, whether it’s an individual or group plan.
Determine the Right Mix of Coverage
The next step in ﬁnding the best health insurance for your business is to determine the right amount of coverage for your employees and company.
- Premiums – The premiums for health insurance plans vary for each type of plan. To determine the premiums for each plan, you can use an online calculator to help you ﬁnd out how much coverage will cost for each type of health insurance.
- Deductibles – You also need to determine the amount of deductibles each plan has. If you have employees that have pre-existing conditions, pre-existing coverage plans can help reduce the cost of those deductibles.
- Co-payments – You also need to determine the co-payments each plan has, as well as the amount of co-insurance each plan has. Co-insurance is a percentage of the total cost of a procedure, treatment, or service. It’s usually paid by the patient at the time of treatment.
Don’t Forget About Taxes: Health Insurance for Your Small Business
When you’re purchasing health insurance for your small business, you also want to make sure to keep tax considerations in mind. Depending on the type of plan you decide is best for your company, you may be able to deduct the cost of your plan from your taxes.
- SHOP – The premium for a SHOP plan is 100% tax deductible for businesses with fewer than 25 employees. If you have more than 25 employees, you can deduct up to 80% of the premium for your plan.
- Individual health insurance – The premium for individual health insurance plans is not tax deductible.
- Group health insurance – Premiums for group health insurance plans can be deducted from your taxes, up to 35% of your taxable income.
- HSA – You can also consider setting up a health savings account (HSA) to help you save money on health insurance premiums.
Small Businesses with Fewer than 50 Employees
If you have fewer than 50 employees, you are exempt from the ACA’s mandate to provide health insurance to your employees or Best Health Insurance for Your Small Business. But that doesn’t mean you can’t offer health insurance to your workers. You may decide to purchase an individual health insurance plan for your employees, which can save your company money. Thanks for reading this article Health Insurance for Your SmallBusiness.
- If you decide to purchase individual health insurance for your employees, you can deduct the entire amount from your taxes.
- When comparing health insurance plans for your employees, make sure to ﬁnd out if the plan includes pre-existing conditions or not.
- You can also set up a health savings account (HSA) to help you save money on health insurance premiums.
FAQs: Health Insurance for Your Small Business
What Are The Types Of Health Insurance?
There are 3 types of Health Insurance
Health Insurance for Your Small Business
Individual Health Insurance
Group Health Insurance
What is Health Insurance for Your Small Business?
SHOP is an online marketplace for small businesses to ﬁnd and purchase health insurance for their employees.
What is Individual Health Insurance?
This is health insurance coverage provided by an insurance company on an individual basis
What is Group Health Insurance?
Group health insurance is coverage provided by an insurance company for an employer and employees through an employer-sponsored health plan.